|December Hello friends! I won’t weigh you down with heavy paragraphs and flowery text. I will keep it savory and punctuated this month. What’s Simmering this Winter….|
1. A big thank you to all of you who have already preordered Italian Bones in the Snow on Amazon. It earned me an orange banner on the first day, which is big in the author world. Keep going, Street Team! Vines Leaves Press and I could not be more grateful.
2. Black Licorice is tightening up and gearing up for a late 2022 pub date with Inked in Gray, which is exciting.
3. Olfactory research is steady and feeling like it wants to transform into another young adult novel (despite my original plan to write it as NF). I have some freelance proofreading work, so if you know any business who require, send them my way!
4. French class is on the horizon at a local school. (I’m learning French because it’s delicious)
5. I auditioned for a role in a local play. I didn’t get the part, but I will next time I audition.
6. I sang a song at an open mic night. It’s been a long time, so I chose Jewel’s a cappella version of This Little Bird. I followed the performance of my oldest daughter. She inspired me to do it.
7. Exit 82 Theatre successfully held its very first visibility day event for the local LGBQT+ community, and I was able to give away about a dozen free books to interested readers. Representation is everything. Seeing yourself in art is EVERYTHING.
8. My friend and fellow author Suzanne Crain Miller (Queen 2017) and I are working on a blog together. Its focus is memoir writing, and how we dig and excavate our past to conjure up the magic in essay form. Details later.
*Check out my piece called “The Arrangement” on Humans of the World’s blog on 12/7/21.
9. I currently eat two cloves of raw garlic daily to fight colds and inflammation. If you chop them into small pieces, you can avoid the burn. Apples help with the breath.
10. My family and I are finally going into the city this month for various reasons. And by “the city” I mean the best city in the world , of course. NYC.
11. I finished a wonderful month as a staff reader for Catatonic Daughters Literary magazine. I was on their team to say YES or NO to their creative nonfiction submissions. Waiting on another opportunity with a press whom I admire called Split Lip Press.
12. Have safe and healthy holidays. Reach out to those who you think might need a reach out. #mentalhealthawareness
13. Here are some great book titles to consider as gift giving season its here!
Never Say Never, Justine Manzano
Drown, Daryl Leonardo
French Milk, Lucy Knisley
Writing it Real series, Melanie Faith
MFA Thesis (novel), Ian Rogers
Here is a link to my pre-order. https://www.amazon.com/Italian-Bones-Snow-Memoir-Shorts/dp/1925965821/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1638725478&sr=8-1